Tuesday, September 15, 2009

cane - part 3

Well here are some beads that I made using the cane I built. I used up some of the left over clay to make another cane. I didn't post pictures of this cane as I built it because I was just winging it. I made some bracelets using this cane. I was able to make three different canes from each original cane. I need to post some more pictures of these canes. I am not completely satisfied with the colors of the second cane. It was meant to be coordinating with the first cane but since I was being el cheapo and using left overs the colors got muted and don't match the first cane. They are all right by themselves though.

It is quite an accomplishment for me to actually finish some pieces. I have gotten much better about that. I even did a pattern on the back. I have donated the beads to the bead jar for the Blue Ridge Polymer Clay Guild which will be auctioned off next month. I plan on donating a bracelet too.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Cane 1 - part 2

Well here is the rest of my cane. I scanned it into the computer and put it together to see what it might look like if the reduction works. I hope it looks that good. As I said I was inspired by Carol Simmons' work as I found in the new Color Book. Well I may have been inspired by her but I can see I have a log way to go. I searched the Internet to see if I could find some more examples of her work and I found this link to her William Morris inspired cane. I don't think anyone will confuse my cane with one of hers. Her detail is exquisite.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

cane #1

Ok so I spent the first two days deciding on my color formulas and conditioning what I hope will be enough clay for three canes. (I don't think I am going to make it) As I said I am posting some pictures of the creation of this cane. Sorry about the lousy photos but I didn't want to take time out to set up lights just to take these pictures. I have to say working with these canes is a lot easier than face canes. Of course I am trying to follow my pattern but I don't think it will matter as much as when I am constructing a face. (At least I hope it won't) You can see where I marked with an arrow (about pic #7) where I did not do a good job packing the cane and there is a bit of a dip. Now for this cane I am hoping that it won't detract from the cane. Had this been say an eye and I had a dip my face could easily end up with a scorned look on her face. Of course it has been a while since I did a complex cane like this one so lets keep our fingers crossed that what I say is true. The first one I did from Jana Roberts Benzon's Arabesque Caning DVD. (A great DVD for caning and reducing) You can also see between the last two pics that I performed some "surgery" on my cane in order to add a dark green line. It called to me that it need this. It also helps smooth out some of the bumps. The first picture show how I build my canes. I put my pattern under glass and build up on this. For latter pictures I moved the cane under the light for the photos.

Stay tuned for more pics!