Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year!





























Well it's hard to believe I have had this blog up for over a year. Thanks to all who follow along and specially to those who take the time to leave a comment. I certainly got a lot of comments and great suggestion about my latest mosaic face cane. I just wanted y'all to know that the cane has been reduced and all is well. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was stressed out about my cane and my failure at slicing. It was able to get a slice at the original size and still have more cane than I know what to do with. I reduced it down to about 3 x 4 inches. I then took part and reduced it down more. The smallest slices are about 2 1/2 inches tall. It reduced OK. (Thanks mainly to Jana Roberts Benzon - but I need to talk to you about getting the slices off the big canes. See you at Synergy and CFCF!) Not surprisingly it was difficult to keep the little lines of mosaics straight. And her chin got a little out of whack! But I can live with it. (like what's my alternative!?!)







I have posted some pictures to show the different sizes. I have just started sanding the big slice so the colors look a little dull. There is also a picture of three slices from my smallest cane. There is also a picture of what I call funky slices. One is the butt end of the cane after I had reduced it to the 3 X 4 size. It reminds me of a woman in a harem peeking out from behind her veil. The other was just a failed slice that I plopped down on some scrap clay.







The last picture is a slice I started playing with. I was trying to get it to look like a pixelated picture that was rather falling apart. I am not sure if I like it. I made a few canes with some of the extruded ends I had left over. I don't like the way the pattern is repeated so often in my floating bits. I didn't feel like putting together any more ends to get different combinations. It was then I realized what a massive project that I had just completed. It took a lot of color combinations and extruded ends to get all the color variances I used in this cane. It's funny when I am working on a project I often don't pay any attention to the work involved but once it is done it's like I am done and any more work on it is hard for me. I guess that is why I am so bad about finishing things. It's the creation I enjoy.







I really didn't mean to ramble on so but once I get started.....

10 comments:

  1. Oh boy! It really did turn out nice though after all. Can you see the colors from the extrusions in the smallest slices? I even like the chin a little distorted. The pixelated look in the last photo is really cool...Klimt like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie...it looks awesome! Very nice reduction, and the chin looks just fine to me :)

    I particularly like the fifth image down which shows the cane end slices containing mostly scrap clay...I love how the lady appears to be peering out through a shadow (the scrap clay) or something. Nice!!

    See you next month! j

    ReplyDelete
  3. wtg! I knew it would kick some bootie when reduced. I love the "Mata Hari" one....looking out from her veil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! It's fantastic! I also love the 'veiled' look and the 'pixelated' piece... very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you would do it - You are TNBTIPC !!!
    Mary Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool!
    I have been following your blog for quite a while and drooling over your wonderful work.

    This is why I want to pass on this blog award on to you.
    http://catswire.blogspot.com/2010/01/sunshine-blog-award.html

    Can't wait to see more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. By chance I have seen your blog published on an Italian site and what I discover here is simply amazing! I have hardly ever seen so many very good canes, especially face canes! You do a great job and thanks for sharing! I have now lots of inspiration to start again, after a long pause in polymer clay. I will come back, that's sure! Greetings from Luxembourg, Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  8. c'est incroyable, bravo, it's amazing!! (désolé je parle très mal anglais...)

    ReplyDelete