Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Maasai Woman - part 1




Here is a picture of my Maasai woman's face. I usually do the more detailed parts large then reduce it. I am pleased with the way she came out. It wasn't until I was looking at the photos that I took that I realized that her nostril needs to be lowered but this should be something I can fix later. I have to admit I have become pretty good and fixing my canes whether its with some surgery into the cane or just by manipulating the slices. This is only part 1 because I plan on finishing her head and my end result (if the face reduces OK) she will have a baby on her back. When we stopped at the Maasai village when we were in Africa I was struck by their beauty. I hope to incorporate some of their bead work into my design. At this point I don''t know if I will do this by caning or with actual beads. Who knows I may do both. Also the Maasai clothing just screams to be caned. The beautiful red plaids and stripes are a stark contrast to the earth tones of Africa. Actually they wear red to keep the lions away.
This has been a challenge for me because of the skin tones but I like it and I hope you do too. I let my canes rest overnight and I will reduce her tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Your face canes make me speechless...And this one is No different!! Probally my favorite one yet!! The colors are perfect!! I love the the idea of a mother with a baby on her back! :) Can't wait to see what you do with her:)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. !!! Es genial, casi perfecto ¡¡¡Soy una novata en mi blog, empecé en abril, te encontré por casualidad y me he quedado alucinada.
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie I think this is most beautiful face cane yet! You captured all the thoughtfulness and beauty of the original photo. You are truly an amazing polymer clay artist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi julie, this work is definitely amazing! Greetings from Italy, Suomii

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whaou!!!!!! This cane is wonderfull!!!!
    Bravo, je suis très très épatée !!!!!
    You are a very nice artist !!!

    ReplyDelete